KaneQuits - The Kane County Tobacco Program
Tobacco use is the leading preventable cause of death within the United States. There is no risk-free level of exposure.
As of 2018, in Kane County,
- 13.7% of adults were current smokers
- 8.1% of adults used vaping products
- 2.4% used smokeless tobacco
2018 Community Health Needs Assessment Report
- 17% of Kane County 12th graders report they have used e-cigarettes or vaped in the last year.
KaneQuits serves all Kane County residents, workers, and organizations. Our vision is smoke-free air and a tobacco-free environment for all people in Kane County.
The goals of the KaneQuits program are to:
- Prevent tobacco initiation among youth,
- Promote quitting tobacco use among adults and youth,
- Eliminate secondhand smoke exposure, and
- Promote compliance with Smoke Free Illinois Act
What does KaneQuits offer?
All of the following services are offered free or at very low cost:
- Referrals to quit tobacco services for adults and youth
- Training and resources for teachers, schools, and other organizations that work with youth
- Training and resources for healthcare providers
writing, understanding, and enacting smoke-free and tobacco free
ordinances and policies for workplaces, open spaces, and multi-unit
- Brochures, fact sheets, and posters
If you would like to be connected with any of our services, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
How is KaneQuits funded?
1998, the Attorneys General from 46 states won one of the largest
lawsuits against America’s tobacco companies. Each year, for 30 years,
the State of Illinois will receive a settlement payment from the tobacco
industry, and will likely designate a portion of these funds for
tobacco education and prevention. The Illinois Department of Public
Health disperses this money to local health departments, including the
KaneQuits program, through the Illinois Tobacco-Free Communities Grant.
How can my organization help make Kane County tobacco free?
Kane County Tobacco Control Coalition was formed in January 2019 to
address tobacco use and vaping within Kane County. The efforts of the
coalition are focused on:
change and advocacy efforts including strengthening school tobacco
codes to include e-cigarettes and passing local smoke-free policies
- Protecting the health of non-smokers.
- Promoting a tobacco-free community by providing education, coordination, advocacy, and support of tobacco control activities.
- Advocating for policy change to protect our outdoor spaces from tobacco litter.
- Increasing utilization of cessation resources in the community, and promoting the use of the Illinois Tobacco Quitline.
- Increasing awareness of youth e-cigarette use including providing education to youth and parents and offering resources
The Kane County Tobacco Control Coalition meets bi-monthly and welcomes
representatives from organizations in Kane County with the common goal
of improving the health and environment of our community. The Tobacco
Control Coalition strives for a group of individuals that reflect our
community or advocate on behalf of a population.
If you would like to learn more on how to become a member, please email: email@example.com